COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
2 medium eggplants, unpeeled, cut into 2 cm cubes
1 medium onion, cubed
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 x 400g tin of La Fonte Polpa (Chopped Tomatoes)
5 tablespoons La Fonte Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons FONTANA Formiello Organic Red Wine Vinegar
2 tablespoons drained capers
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
Toasted pine nuts
• Sprinkle the eggplant cubes with salt and leave for 20 minutes. Transfer to a cooking sieve, rinse off the juices and dry with paper towel.
• In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil gets hot, add eggplants, onion and garlic cloves. Fry everything for about 15 minutes, or until the eggplants turn coloured and soft.
• Add diced tomatoes with juice, red wine vinegar and drained capers. Cover and simmer until eggplant and onion are very tender (about 12 minutes), stirring occasionally.
• Season caponata with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fresh basil and toasted pine nuts, then transfer caponata into a serving bowl. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
• Caponata is can be served with a crispy bruschetta or with salad leaves, and it’s also perfect as a side with roasted chicken, pork or beef.